Thursday, May 2, 2013

Race Report: Iron Antofagasta


Race weekend in Antofagasta I was sharing a cabaña on the beach (and also along the bike circuit) with our coach Marcos, his 7-year-old daughter and triathlon champ Sol, and teammate Juan Carlos.  Sunday morning began with an extra hour of sleep, thanks to the end of daylight savings time in Chile.  This made the 5:30 am alarm, relaxed breakfast chatting with Sol, and short bike ride to the race much more pleasant.  The sun was coming up by the time we arrived, and the air was warmer and less windy than the day before, when the promotional and kids' races had taken place.

The race was about 10 km south of downtown Antofagasta, along the coast and towards a very important mining area of Northern Chile.  We were about 100 competitors, so at least the transition area ("parque cerrado") wasn't too crazy, and I recognized some familiar faces.  I had plenty of time for a warm-up swim, mostly useful for getting acclimated to the chilly water, and in this case calming because the waves were minimal and the water was fairly clear.  A few sea lions were playing not too far from some of the other swimmers as we warmed-up.

After the two large yellow buoys were in place to mark the triangle-shaped swim circuit, we started the swim at about 8:30 am.  Since my first half-IM in Pucón, the swim is the discipline I have focused most of my attention, and while I still struggle to keep up with the main group, I'm feeling stronger, more efficient in the water.  There may be a moment during long swims when I think, "Gee, this feels like it might last forever," but at least I was able to get into a groove and enjoy the awesome-ness of swimming off the Chilean Pacific coast!

After the first lap of the swim, the kids from RPM Team were cheering so loudly, and gave me a huge energy boost as I entered the water for the second lap.  Our coach, Marcos, yelled at me, "Two minutes", and I contemplated what that meant during the second lap.  I realized that the lead woman must have been two minutes ahead, since I know she's a really strong swimmer, but I was hanging in there with a group that included two other women nearby.  Before the race, Marcos had advised me to find a group in the swim and stick with them, so I vowed to keep pace with this group and we left the water together after completing two laps (1900 m).  Now Marcos yelled, "Four minutes".  At the parque cerrado, the RPM kids were at my bike cheering and waving at me, again giving me that extra boost.  Ready to pedal, and the chase was on.

Ready to roll.
The bike leg went about 1 km north along the coast, before turning right into the dusty hills and climbing along what seemed to be a road to the mines and a cement processing plant.  As in, I saw nothing but sand, pot-holes, and big trucks parked along the side of the road.  And other bikers.  I was prepared for the climb.  The past Saturdays' training rides had included several climbs up a long hill outside Santiago, rides which we affectionately call "antennas" because an antenna (electric line, or cell tower?) marks the turn-around point at the top.  My proudest weekend included 3 antennas, the first two in a harder gear that I thought would have been impossible the previous week.

Turning back towards Antofagasta, the rest of the bike loop was along the coast, reaching almost to downtown, and then returning to the transition area.  Four loops, 22.5 km each, for a total of 90 km.  At the end of the first loop, Marcos yelled at me, "2 minutes", then the second loop "1 minute".  I was pedaling strong, but I also had to concentrate on eating, hydrating, and making sure I had enough juice left in my legs for what would be a hot run, now that the sun was coming out full-force.  Lap three I maintained my pace, at one point obliged to increase my cadence to out-sprint a ferociously barking dog, all part of the Chilean scenery.  Lap four, I think I fell back a bit, I was focusing on my cadence, but it just seemed like I couldn't move my legs with as much strength as I wanted.  I think this can be improved for my next half-IM, adding some distance to my training rides, maybe some short fast stuff at the end on fatigued legs.

I've been reading about mental triathlon strategy, and one tip is to think of the events independently.  During the swim, just swim.  During the bike, just ride.  During the run, just run.  So, even though I came off the bike a bit deflated, I reminded myself that my strength is the run, the race was mine.  I was so pumped for the run, I had one of the fastest T2 times of all the competitors, passing through the parque cerrado in just 30 seconds.  Okay, I admit races aren't won in T2, but I'm glad I kept my focus and didn't lose any time.  At the beginning of the run, I passed a curiousity, a chain of women holding hands to block the road, but their chain broke before the runner in front of me approached, and we passed without incident.  I later read that they worked at the local restaurants, and were protesting the road closures, although rather ineffectively.

T2, shoes and hat in 30 seconds.
The day before the race we had driven part of the run circuit, and I knew it included a hill.  I was ready for the first climb, now on foot and heading south along the coast and past a copper mine shipping facility.  But somehow in the car, I hadn't realized that after the first hill comes a turn, and then, surprise, a second even steeper hill!  When I came to this point on the run, it took all my physical and mental power just to keep going.  And I did.  Past the shipping plant, the road turned downhill to sea level before turning to dirt, delineating the dusty hills to the east and the majestic Pacific to the west.  Three loops, each with two climbs and two descents, which should have been 21 km but in reality might have been about 18 km.

It was the end of the first loop, coming down the hill that I started to gain quickly on the lead woman.  I admit I was feeling tired, I was ready to follow along behind her for at least another loop, but at the water station I found myself ahead, and suddenly feeling strong.  I decided not to look back, just keep running at a pace I could maintain, and wait until the next turnaround to see if I could hold the lead.  Of course, on the next climb that strength diminished, I felt that my left quad was on the verge of a serious cramp, so I salvaged my last few salt pills, and increased my turn-over.

I can see the finish line!
Then, I started to notice that everyone was struggling.  It was hot, dry, and hilly.  We were getting sun-burned.  But a sense of comeraderie emerged, with runners cheering each other on at the toughest points.  And coming around that final curve of that final lap, it was a glorious coast downhill towards the finish line, finishing my second half-IM in 5:21, a PR by 26 minutes!  While I would have been pleased to see more women racing, the event was a great success, and I hope that in future years the women who participated in the promotional (shorter) race on Saturday are motivated to take on the longer challenge on Sunday, and experience the glorious struggle that is a half-IM!

Sharing the headline with Felipe Van de Wyngard, top Chilean triathlete!

Race results here, and Trichile race report here.  Thanks to the organizers of Iron Antofogasta, all the people who worked hard to make this event possible, and to Trichile for excellent photos and publicity.  And of course thanks to RPM Team, for support along the way, especially Marcos for taking us far and Julio for being our local guide in Antofagasta.  Felicitaciones a todos del RPM, hemos sacado muchos podios y vamos por más!!

No comments: