
Well, the next kind of tuna is the kind that I will write more about. "Tuna" is a type of traditional musical group in Chile, and perhaps more of Latin America, with about five to ten members who play guitar- and drum-like instruments of all sizes and sing, as well as perform acrobatics with tambourines, dance, and tell jokes in between sets. I went to a tuna festival on May 2, called "Gala de Tunas," hosted by the "Tuna Feminina Azahares" of the Univerisdad de La Serena. (Azahar is an orange blossom.) I think that tuna groups are usually males, and two male tuna groups from the University of La Serena and one visiting group from Temuco played in the gala. Maybe you can see in the pictures, the girl tunas wear elegant dresses, and the men wear tights, knickers, capes and sashes. I'm not sure the entire history of tuna music, but if you ever get the chance to see a performance, you're sure to be well-entertained.

No comments:
Post a Comment