Saturday, January 26, 2008

La Plaza

Recently I have taken many walks to the Plaza de Armas in downtown La Serena. At the center of the plaza is a fountain, surrounded by local Chilean palm trees, some benches, and walk ways.

In the municipal building on one end, I applied for my Chilean ID (after the woman who works there told me that next time I need to bring someone who understands the language!!). On the opposite side of the plaza is one of the most beautiful Catholic churches I have ever been in - with a painted ceiling, stained glass, and pillars about the size of my armspan. Nearby are local crafts markets in the summer, where I found a keychain with my name "Adela" inscribed; this is the first time I have ever found anything with my name!! Within a few blocks are department stores, pharmacies, restaurants, hotels, etc. This is a great area to experience Chilean culture, foods, etc.

At night, the plaza is busy with families and couples, young and old, who spend time shopping and watching the street performers. The other night we saw a puppet show, singers, men dressed in Indian headdresses playing traditional wooden flutes, mimes, and also a robotic dancer!! I hope you can see the pictures and the video (to be posted) of these sights.

On Saturday mornings, the plaza is much quiter and calmer, and I like to take a break from my morning run to have a fresh cup of fruit juice and a snack, rest on a bench or take a walk around the area to see the traditional buildings by daylight, and to watch the venders as they open their shops and prepare for another busy day in town!

No comments: